Follow these guidelines after surgery:
- You must have a responsible adult drive you home and stay with you for the first 24 hours after your surgery. You cannot drive yourself home or be left alone. Please make arrangements with this responsible adult prior to your surgery.
- Before you leave the Spine Surgery Center, you will be given verbal and written discharge instructions for your care at home.
- After you have returned home, be sure to follow your doctor's orders regarding diet, rest, medication and activity. Unless directed otherwise, you should start your diet with clear liquids. You may progress to bland solid foods as soon as you feel ready. By the next day, you should be back to your normal diet. It is not unusual to feel a little sleepy, lightheaded or dizzy for several hours after your surgery.
- Do not drive, operate machinery, sign any important papers or make any significant decisions for 24 hours.
- Refrain from alcohol until you have stopped taking pain medication. Do not smoke for 24 hours after surgery.
- If you have any questions or problems after surgery, please contact your physician. His/her number should be listed on the bottom of your discharge instruction sheet.
- A nurse from Spine Surgery Center will phone you within a few days after your surgery to see how you are and answer any additional questions you might have.